There are many different versions of lightning talks that you could use e.g. Pecha Kucha or Ignite, what they all have in common is that the time available to present and engage your audience is usually no more than 5mins, and never more than 10mins.
Condensing what you have to say into five minutes takes real skill and planning. It is also a really valuable exercise for the presenter, and usually very enjoyable for the audience.
- Prepare an information sheet for presenters, be explicit about exactly the time allowed, whether they will be allowed to use slides, whether questions or clarifications are included within the time allowed
- Identify a strong chair person who is prepared to cut people off mid-flow if they are over time
- Consider whether you would like to have a way of indicating to presenters that they have 2mins and 1min left (and if so, find some markers)
- If your talks are a stand-alone event you will need to book a venue and promote them
- Consider videoing talks or live streaming them online to share with a wider audience